- Dabs Guide: How To Install A Motherboard
- Find Out More About The Asus Sabertooth 990FX TUF Series Motherboard
- Dabs Guide: How To Install A Processor
- Click here to see our full range of exclusive Asus Self-Build Bundles - Build a PC with ease with our tried-and-tested Motherboard, CPU and Memory Bundles!
SABERTOOTH 990FX: AMD 990FX(AM3+) Military-Grade Motherboard with Aerospace-Grade CeraM!X Cooling Tech.
- TUF CeraM!X Heatsink Coating Tech. - 50% Larger area for heat dissipation with the revolutionary ceramics-coating technology
- TUF Thermal Radar - Real Time Temp Detection and Heat Removal
- DIGI+ VRM - Herald the Arrival of a New Digital Power Design Era
- TUF Components [Alloy Choke, Cap. & MOSFET; Certified by Military-standard] - Certified for Tough Duty
- E.S.P. [Efficient Switching Power Design] - Optimal power efficiency for key components
ASUS has announced a new line up of AMD based motherboards that support the 990FX/990X/970 chipsets and AM3+ CPUs, the first company in the market to provide fully compatible AM3+ motherboards. The new motherboards will be the first on the AMD chipset based platform to support both multi-GPU technologies AMD CrossFireX™ and NVIDIA® SLI™.
The newest addition to the TUF Series motherboards is the SABERTOOTH 990FX, which also has the distinction of being the first AMD-based system in the TUF Series of motherboards. Known for their unrivalled quality and reliability in extreme conditions, the SABERTOOTH 990FX features the use of CeraM!X, an exclusive aerospace-grade cooling material with a 50% larger cooling area that effectively conducts heat away from vital system components.
Also on-board is ASUS' Thermal Radar technology, which consists of ten sensors located on various vital components, giving users the ability to monitor each one individually and automatically adjusts fan speeds to ensure the system maintains a level of high stability without overheating.
TUF motherboards are made using TUF components, comprised of military-certified alloy chokes, solid state capacitors and MOSFETs built to withstand the most extreme usage conditions for greater system stability and longevity. A TUF motherboard built with high-end components ensures quality and tested server-grade reliability and are certified TUF only after a series of extreme stress tests including maximum temperature and humidity tolerance, so users get nothing but the best.
ASUS Unique Selling Points
- TUF CeraM!X - Heatsink Coating Tech: Larger area for heat dissipation with the revolutionary ceramics-coating technology.
- TUF Thermal Radar: Real Time Temp Detection and Heat Removal.
- Digi+ VRM: Upgrades motherboard power delivery to a digital standard for the best performance.
- E.S.P. Efficient Switching Power Design:
- TUF Components: Alloy Choke, Cap. & MOSFET; Certified by Military-standard.
- ESD Guards: Unique protection of motherboard components from unexpected electrostatic discharges (ESD).
- MemOK!: Quickly ensures memory boot compatibility.
- UEFI BIOS(EZ Mode): Flexible & Easy BIOS Interface.
- AI Suite II: One-stop Access to All Innovative ASUS Software.
- ASUS Q-Connector: Easily access your PCI-E connectors.
- ASUS Q-Shield: Protect yourself from EMI.
- EZ Flash 2: Easily update your systems bios firmware.
- O.C. Profile: Allows you to store multiple Bios images.
- Form Factor: ATX Form Factor, 12"x 9.6" (30.5cm x 24.4cm)
- Socket: AMD Socket AM3+ for FX™ / Phenom™II / Athlon™II / Sempron™ 100 Series Processors
- Chipset: AMD 990FX / SB950 Chipset
- Graphics interface: 3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (dual x16; x16 x8 x8)
- Expansion Slots: 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 speed) 1 x PCIe 2.0 x1, 1 x PCI 2.2
- Multi GPU: Supports 3-Way NVIDIA® SLI™ / AMD CrossFireX™ Technology
- Memory: 4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz, ECC, Non-ECC, un-buffered Memory
- Audio: Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- LAN: Realtek® 8111E Gigabit LAN controller
- Storage: - 6 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports with RAID 0,1,5 and 10 support, 2 x SATA 3Gb/s ports, 1 x Power eSATA 3Gb/s port (green), 1 x eSATA 3Gb/s port (red).
- USB: - 2 x USB 3.0 ports at mid-board for front panel support, 2 x USB 3.0 ports at back panel (blue), 14 x USB 2.0 ports (4 ports at mid-board, 10 ports at back panel)
- Manageability: WfM 2.0, DMI 2.0, WOL by PME, WOR by PME, PXE
Back Panel I/O Ports
- 1 x PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse combo port
- 1 x Optical S/PDIF Output port
- 1 x Power eSATA 3Gb/s port (green)
- 1 x eSATA 3Gb/s port (red)
- 1 x IEEE1394a port
- 1 x LAN (RJ45) port
- 2 x USB 3.0/2.0 ports (blue)
- 10 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports
- 8-channel Audio I/O ports
Internal I/O Connectors
- 1 x USB 3.0/2.0 connector supports additional 2 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (19-pin; moss green)
- 2 x USB 2.0/1/1 connectors support additional 4 USB 2.0/1.1 ports
- 6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (brown)
- 2 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (black)
- 1 x CPU Fan connector (4-pin)
- 4 x Chassis Fan connectors (3 x 4-pin; 1 x 3-pin)
- 1 x CPU Opt fan connectors (4-pin)
- 1 x IEEE1394a connector
Front panel audio connector
- 1 x COM connector
- 1 x S/PDIF Out header
- 24-pin EATX Power connector
- 8-pin EATX 12V Power connector
- System Panel (Q-Connector)
- 1 x MemOK! button
- 1 x Clear CMOS jumper
In The Box
- 4 x Serial ATA 6Gb/s cables
- 1 x ASUS SLI bridge connector
- 1 x ASUS Q-Shield
- 1 x 2 in 1 Q-connector
- 1 x TUF Certification card
- 1 x TUF 5 Year Warranty manual (by region)
- User's manual
- Anti-virus software (OEM version)
- ASUS Update
- ASUS Utilities
CeraM!X - Heatsink Coating Tech
50% Larger area for heat dissipation with the revolutionary ceramics-coating technology. Innovative ceramics effectively conducts heat away from the system. It replaces traditional anti-oxidant to dissipate heat better with its microscopic irregular surface and enlarged area. Better cooling leads to overall improvement in system stability.
TUF Thermal Radar
Real Time Temp Detection and Heat Removal. The TUF Thermal Radar monitors temps in critical parts of the motherboard in real time, automatically adjusting fan speeds to make sure the system maintains high stability without overheating. It consists of multiple sensors for various components on the motherboard, giving users the ability to monitor each one individually. The Thermal Radar automatically calculates ideal fan speeds based on different parameters selected by users for each component, keeping everything cooler and longer lasting.
Flexible and Easy BIOS Interface. ASUS UEFI BIOS offers a user-friendly interface that goes beyond traditional keyboard-only BIOS controls to enable more flexible and convenient mouse input. Users can easily navigate the UEFI BIOS with the smoothness of their operating system. Quick and simple overclocking and setup sharing is facilitated by the F12 hotkey BIOS snapshot feature. The exclusive EZ Mode displays frequently-accessed setup info, while the Advanced Mode is for experienced performance enthusiasts that demand far more intricate system control, including detailed DRAM information.
Write a review for the Asus Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SB950 DDR3 ATX TUF Series here!
Great board but with issues part 2
Reviewed by Ron. Review Posted 09/09/2011
Over the next few years, this situation will improve and so will the performance. Over the coming months more upgrades will be fitted to the system for example Crossfire, RAID and ‘Bulldozer’. It is a shame to give only 4 stars but it does take a bit of setting up when things go wrong and not everyone should experience this. However this is still the cheapest place to get the board and is currently £5 cheaper than I paid. The packaging of the board was very good and the board its self looks and feel solid. The SATA cables provided are all SATA 3 and lockable. Even with the AMD6950 in place the ports are still accessible with good clearance. You will have to be careful with after market CPU coolers. I have 16GB of Corsair vengeance fitted and they come up quite tall in the sockets. This will interfere with some of the larger coolers on the market. Hopefully I will be able to find one that will fit. Overall this was worth the effort and was a good learning experience.
- Ease of use
- Value for money
Great board but with issues
Reviewed by Ron. Review Posted 09/09/2011
I selected this board for my new system following 6 good years from my previous ASUS board a M2N-SLi deluxe. The reviews out there find next to no fault with it and give very high recommendations and in some cases the results show it out performs the top of the range Crosshair. However out of the testing world and in the real world things don’t always go to plan. I do now have a stable running system but it has taken some work over the past few weeks to get it there. The first board was faulty after cross testing all the parts fitted in other systems. The returns process was very good but it took 2 weeks for the replacement to arrive as there was no stock. This allowed more research and preparation for the new board.
When the new one arrived, again there were problems but with the help of the ASUS forums things were sorted. There are still issues with in the BIOS/UEFI but this is right at the beginning of its product life and there has only been the initial release so far. Over the n
- Ease of use
- Value for money
The opinions expressed in this reviews section are those of our customers and not of dabs.com. Nothing contained herein amends dabs.com’s terms and conditions.